New Application Helps Better Manage Diabetic Pets

>> Tuesday, May 20, 2014



We recently received some exciting information at our office from Abbott Animal Health, the makers of the AlphaTrak Glucometer, a product made specifically for home monitoring blood glucose of both dogs and cats.

Abbott Animal Health has created a data management program for veterinary diabetic patients. This is something that has long been available to human diabetics and has been desperately needed in veterinary medicine. The AlphaTraker, Electronic Data Master, is a very simple to use program that you can download to your PC (we did not try it on a iPad or other tablet). The program can be used if you do not use an AlphaTrak Glucometer, which is great since many clients choose to use different brands of glucometer. If you do not have an AlphaTrak you will choose manual entry. If you do have an AlphaTrak the glucometer can be attached to your computer with a cable (this is sold separately) and will automatically download the glucose readings for your pet.
What this application allows you to do is enter your pets glucose readings, times they ate, what they ate and time and dose of insulin administered for each day. You can also keep track of other laboratory testing, other medications being administered and veterinary appointments. The program easily converts this information to graphs that allow you to quickly identify trends and, most importantly, it allows you to share this information very succinctly with your veterinarian.

I feel that the key to successful long term management of most diabetics is communication between the owner and the veterinarian. No matter how diligent the owner, it is difficult to accurately communicate the day to day minutia like appetite, activity, etc. I also see many clients assume that once they establish an insulin dose and a home regimen they are on autopilot and they can either stay the course or adjust insulin doses as they see fit. This can lead to disasters or at least a poor long term outcome (shortened life expectancy, diabetic neuropathy, etc). The AlphaTraker program appears to have helped solve this issue.

Take a look at the site and download AlphaTraker and give it a try!   http://alphatraker.software.informer.com/


14 comments:

Unknown June 2, 2014 at 8:38 AM  

I'm looking for a source of animal care in Wooster. Does anyone know a good place? I need to take care of my cat.
John Bond | http://www.advancedanimalcareoh.com

Unknown July 23, 2014 at 11:00 PM  

some of your points are really outstanding. i just love it. What should I feed my new kittens?

Unknown July 28, 2014 at 8:48 AM  

This is great to hear! I've never had a diabetic pet, but my friend had a cat that died at an early age. The vet later said it was possible that the cat's insulin levels were the problem, even though it hadn't ever testing positive for diabetes. Anything that helps pet owners take care of their pets better is a good investment in my opinion.

Jenn | http://www.animalhealthclinicoflc.com/services.html

Unknown August 15, 2014 at 9:01 AM  

When a person goes to the doctor, the doctor has reasonable understanding of how to fix them. I feel like veterinary medicine is a whole lot more expansive. Are all animals about the same as far as things that can be wrong with the? In my mind, each animal carries with it a special type of animal science.

http://lincolnwayanimalclinic.com/

Unknown October 30, 2014 at 3:17 PM  

I had no idea that animals could be diabetic. I wonder if that's the problem with my cat. She's been a little weird lately. It's good that they're doing research to figure this out. It seems like it would be similar to human diabetes right? I better get some veterinary services to see if my cat has diabetes. http://www.catsonlyvethosp.com/why-cats-only-veterinary-hospital/

Unknown November 17, 2014 at 10:27 AM  

I have got to get my hands on this application. I wonder if any of the veterinary services in my area have access to it yet. My dog is diabetic, and tracking her glucose levels can be a challenge. I love her immensely, and it would kill me if her health suffered because I was not properly managing her condition.

http://myuniversitypethospital.com/la-mesa-veterinary-hospital-veterinary-services

Unknown November 24, 2014 at 1:35 AM  

wow. this is really a great stuff. love the way you are working here.
dog food recipes

Unknown January 7, 2015 at 2:01 PM  

The first time I heard that animals could be diabetic was when my friend told me his dog was diabetic. I just thought that humans could only get that. I was shocked because that would mean that the vets would have to really monitor the dog and make sure that nothing bad was to happen to it. http://www.abvma.ca

Anonymous,  March 10, 2015 at 4:20 PM  

Our pets can get similar diseases that we can get. With that knowledge, we have to take a bit better care of them. Like you said, it is important to have proper communication between the owner and the vet. You wouldn't want to forget your pet's medication. It's good to see that there are people out there who strive to better the health of our pets. http://www.mokenaanimalclinic.com

Unknown October 29, 2015 at 12:32 AM  

I am also lost my time for pet training and know all type behave of dog our company Henderson Dog Training give us training abut dog and we train dog. If you have a dog and want to train her please contact us.

Unknown January 27, 2016 at 2:57 AM  

Thank you so much for ding the impressive job here, everyone will surely like your post. Nauckland vets

Ashish Life Science July 11, 2017 at 2:45 AM  

Veterinary Products Manufacturers in Mumbai has been making Veterinary Formulations in India for 30 years. Buyers know us as a reputed Veterinary Bolus manufacturer of India. We offer Veterinary Drugs PCD on Monopoly basis for a wide product range. Our product range is backed by proper promotional inputs

Jennifer Avina August 23, 2019 at 10:58 PM  

It’s amazing to visit again n again coming to your blogs the superb effort is here. Ruff Hero brand

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP